The origin of the Finance Department as it is known today can be traced to 1956, when the Royal Technical College was established. It existed as a section within the administrative structure. Its main function then was bookkeeping of office expenditure, furniture and equipment and teaching expenses
From 1956 to 1970 the College experienced a time of growth and witnessed major additions, reorganization and the creation of new departments that ushered the birth of University of Nairobi on July 1, 1970 established by an Act of Parliament. Thus, from a humble beginning, the University of Nairobi has grown to a complex institution of higher learning with a student population of over 60,000 students and a staff of about 5,000, half of them being teaching staff. With this large number of staff and students, the role of Finance department becomes more critical.
The department has created structures and systems that are responsive to the needs of the large numbers of staff and students. The University of Nairobi finance department is ready and prepared to give the required services to its esteemed customers both within and without. The department today has competent and motivated staff to offer effective and efficient services.